8.31.2008

playing with Richie Elles

I met the famous Richie Elles in Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern on Friday night. We went down town before dark and walked the streets to get an idea of the environment. Lucerne is so beautiful. I can never say it looks like another city....but itself. Pelle told me I had to bring my violin because I would play with this black man in the fancy bar. It was a strange moment when I met Richie...he was laughing and hollering praises to God. His heart was beating outside of him it seemed. I knew he was an entertainer, I just didn't expect to be drawn into his joy so quickly. Pelle sort of boldly said I was a fantastic violin player.....so I could play......but then again seriously---I know my skill but what about this guy, he has to believe Pelle and let some American girl have a try in his fancy bar show? What trust....and a bit of the Holy Spirit. I came to find out that Richie has quite the testimony. He has been dead for 4 minutes and was brought to see a portion of heaven and hell. He turned from his witchcraft and voodoo after he was resussitated in the hospital. He has been giving praises to God as he continues his 'life learning' here. He does not do anything without the permission of God. If he should go to a party....Christian or non Christian....he will consult God. It's a bold and hard decision to do what God wants instead of something that is pleasing the flesh of yourself and others who have selfish ambitions for power, control, and manipulation. So....now that I know this and realize that he let me join him on the spot.....it convinces me that God had it in His plan. Which is fun!

At the Hotel Schweizerhof

Richie is a phenomenal piano player and the people stream to hear him. It is because he brings life to dead places. In a way I feel like he is my teacher for this season of my life. I had an encounter with a musical master with shining power from God in his heart.

Last night we threw an 'Irish Party' for many people...friends of the house churches, non Christians and Christians. It was in Pelle's flat and there were maybe 35 people there. My team...the Irish Band as was told (yikes) was playing as well as Richie was coming for a short appearance. We played some funky renditions of worship songs that fit the atmosphere.



Richie and I. What a musical pair.

No comments: