10.11.2008

Overwhelmed

Back in the states... This is Ragnhild, or April, if that works better for you. It is now four days into our journey, and I have taken in a whole month's worth of impressions. It is so beautiful here! Someone told me I would be so bored coming here to the midwest, but that has not been true at all. Driving through Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma we've seen pretty fields, rolling hills, intense sunsets and too many dead things by the road (including a snake Lyndee ran over)




Today we stopped by the little house on the prairie, and it was very exciting. I loved reading books about the first settlers, how they struggled through tough winters, worked the land and saw the first sewing machine come to town. Now all that is closer to my heart after visiting Laura Ingalls Wilder's home.

Yesterday was spent in Kansas city eating pancakes, served by Ginger, our friendly waitress. Everyone is very friendly here, asking how I am, how they can help me and if things are good enough, if I'd like more of anything. People are not that friendly where I come from... I should add that I'm talking about people who get paid to be friendly, I guess that explains a lot.


We also visited the prayerhouse in KC, for some inspiration in my prayer ministry. And I got to meet Jessica, my roommate from DTS. It has been more than 2 years since we last met, and it was very good to catch up and find out where we are in our lives. Hopefully I'll see her again on Monday, somewhere off I-29.
Overwhelmed... by all the choices. What shall I eat? How much should I eat? What color do I pick for my nails? What lane is best to drive in? Where should I look at all times? (because everything is new to me) When should I go to bed? (We are 7 hours earlier than Norway) What do I wear in this warm weather?
I survive. I manage very fine actually. The conclusion is that I use my senses a lot: smelling, looking, touching, tasting, hearing - all of them, therefore the sense (hah..) of being overwhelmed.

And I have no idea how much the coins are worth, so that certainly gives away my identity as tourist, but that's okay.

Tomorrow is church, Lyndee's church, where we will share, so please pray for us wayfaring strangers.

- Ragnhild

1 comment:

Marcea said...

awh this is so fun to read about your experiences APRIL! Hehe....coins aren't worth so much, don't worry, and America loves foreigners! Enjoy the rest of your time there!